Powered By Blogger

Sunday 1 December 2013

How To Stop Comparing

I read this yesterday http://writingundercover.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/your-one-wild-and-precious-life/ and I think it’s really important to know. Comparison very nearly ended a relationship with someone very important to me. It really is a killer. Comparison makes you feel like you are not good enough. We are all different. It took me some time to stop comparing myself to others, I looked in the mirror (yes, there again) and I told myself it was silly. Everyone has an amazing gift. If you haven’t found it yet, just have some patience, it will arise. I haven’t found mine yet.

Comparison is stupid. You are not like anyone else. And that fact should be celebrated. It’s a hard habit to break though, and I have to remind myself to stop comparing sometimes. I have a hard life, no one knows what goes on when the lights go off at night; whether I cry myself to sleep, or sleep peacefully, or read to switch my mind off. And I don’t share this with people not because I don’t trust them but because I know that everyone is overcoming hurdles that I know nothing about and I don’t want to bring my sadness to their door. Sometimes I do break down though, as some of my friends will know a few weeks ago now. But it’s not fair to compare my problems to someone else’s. Everyone is going through something, so though they may look like they have everything together, I can assure you, they are fighting a battle that you don’t know about.

That’s why I have such a big problem with judging people. You don’t know for a second what is going on in their life. Like comparing yourself to someone else, you don’t know what they’ve been through to get to this point, nor do you know what they’re battling against right now. Just take things as they are. Things are always changing, even if they don’t appear to be. There will always be people who can do thing better than you, but only you can put your own stamp on it. Don’t deprive the world of your stamp. You will find the thing you can do better than anyone else someday. Don’t panic. I’m still waiting.  

Thanks for reading,

Steph

XxX

1 comment: